Category 3 Water Damage: 3 Nightmare Scenarios
A category 3 water damage scenario is the most severe out of all water damage types.
Like every type of water damage, category 3 water damage is very difficult to prepare for because it is unknown when a water damage disaster will strike. When a category 3 water damage occurs, the property owner will need to contact professionals for help because your home or business will be affected in a magnitude of different ways. The following blog post will cover three common scenarios that the professionals at SERVPRO of Downtown Atlanta have mitigated and restored. By the end, we hope you better understand and can define what category 3 water damage entails and the proper steps to take when your property is affected by category 3 water damage.
What is category 3 water damage?
Category 3 water damage (also known as black water) is water damage that contains bacteria and pathogens that are known to cause severe structural issues when not mitigated quickly.
The best course of action to take when affected by category three water damage is to:
- Keep calm
- Call a reliable restoration company
- Contact your insurance adjuster
You should highly consider contacting the professionals at SERVPRO of Downtown Atlanta at the first sign of category three water damage. A property owner must act fast to avoid any further property damages.
3 common category three water damage scenarios
1) Category 3 water damages due to flooding: Whenever there is heavy rainfall in Atlanta, the professionals at SERVPRO will receive many calls from businesses and individuals who have been affected by the category three water damage due to a stream or river overflowing into their home or business.
When a business has flood water, certain procedures are necessary for a business to quickly continue operations as normally as possible. The first step will be to evaluate the extent of the damages and then begin extracting all the standing water from the property completely with heavy equipment such as industrial wet/dry vacuums.
2) Category 3 water damages due to a sewage backup: A sewage backup is the most extreme form of category three water damage. Sewage is one of the worst forms of water damage contaminants to affect a home or business.
Category three water damages caused by sewage will require extensive procedures for your home to be habitable again, starting with removing all standing water and drying out the structure. In addition, all contents that came in contact with the sewage water will need to be disposed of.
3) Category 3 water damage due to toilet overflows: Category three water damages caused by an overflowed toilet can be pretty nasty, but they do not carry the same level of contamination as sewage. Category three water damage due to a toilet overflow will require removing all standing water and drying out any affected materials thoroughly to prevent mold from growing.
As you can see, category 3 water is the most damaging type of water loss a property can have. Category three water can cause significant damage to the property and requires extensive mitigation protocols from water restoration professionals. One of the main protocols is the application of an antimicrobial solution to avoid the growth of mold.
Please remember that it is essential to act fast when affected by category 3 water damage. By a quick phone call to the professionals at SERVPRO of Downtown Atlanta, the water damages will be mitigated and restored "Like it never even happened."
Please contact us today if your home or business has suffered category 3 damages. SERVPRO of Downtown Atlanta is available 24/7, 365 days a year, for any size water damage emergency.