Quickly Get Back To Normal Life - 6 Steps in the Home Insurance Claims Process
Learn how SERVPRO can help you with your home insurance claim!
A home insurance claim can become an emotional process, depending mostly on the amount of damage present. Understanding your insurance policies and how to file a claim with your home insurance company will let you decide what to do next and (hopefully) squash the tension.
In this blog post, we will go over how the home insurance process typically goes and how you can get back to normal life before the disaster happened.
6 essential steps in the home insurance claims process
When a disaster happens, the first thing your need to do is collect evidence; take pre mitigation pictures, and make videos of all of the damage to your property. The images that you take will help your insurance adjuster understand what exactly needs replacing.
- Call your insurance company as soon as possible so that they know about the loss.
- Meet with your insurance adjuster: Throughout the restoration process, the adjuster will help with all inquiries, details, or reassurance at any time.
- Protect what remains: Do not put yourself in any danger, but save any undamaged items.
- Submit a list of your items that were destroyed or damaged. Share the list, along with each item's worth, with your adjuster. Having the damage written gives them a clear understanding of what needs to be done & how much it would cost to do it.
- Your adjuster will help you get estimates to restore and rebuild what has been destroyed, and they will typically consult with a contractor who will work on your house.
- Start the restoration process.
We understand that your insurance company needs to be in the loop when a disaster happens to your property. In many cases, you need to act fast, and the best course of action will be calling the IICRC certified professionals at SERVPRO to help you mitigate the situation.
We have experience working with all insurance companies. In fact, we are a preferred restoration vendor for many of the leading insurance companies!
Before you call SERVPRO do the following:
Find out your insurer's time limit
Your insurance contract will provide specifics about how much time you are allowed to take to file a claim, and most states have rules and time limitations for both you and the insurer to keep the procedure moving. The key is to ensure that all the necessary paperwork is given within the time constraints mentioned in your policy.
Take precautionary measures and substantiate the losses
If a delay would lead to additional damage, don't wait for your adjuster to make the first move. Contact a restoration contractor, like SERVPRO that can cover a damaged roof with plastic tarps to keep additional damages from occurring.
Keep track of additional costs
When your home is damaged to the extent that it is uninhabitable or unsafe, make sure to track all meals, hotel, and associated expenses, keep receipts so that you can be compensated. Many insurance policies provide loss-of-use coverage for these expenses.
SERVPRO can help you file your home insurance claim
In the industry, SERVPRO is a renowned company, and it has been serving clients since 1967. SERVPRO is aware of how daunting filing a claim after you have suffered loss can be. Rely on us for the job; we can take care of it all from restoration to rebuild.
SERVPRO of Downtown Atlanta can provide an itemized inventory of all of your belongings that were damaged. We will provide you and your insurance adjuster with a report and pictures of items that were damaged. We provide our customers with accurate, fast information needed to make sound decisions. Call us for 24/7 emergency services.